Monday, January 23, 2012

Red Tails (movie review)


It was better than I thought…Red Tails; a movie about a group of African American pilots in the Tuskegee training program ended up taking me by surprise. I went into the movie expecting to see some kind of documentary about how African Americans had to battle with officials in order to actually fight and fly in World War II, but it was much more than that. Red Tails was full of humor and a fun-loving brotherly relationship between each of the members of the Tuskegee crew. 

Being that it was based on a true story, some of the things the white people in the movie did shocked me. Their reasoning behind why the Tuskegee group couldn’t be fighter pilots was ridiculous…black men don’t have the reflexes or the smarts to fight off other planes, let alone fly one. Ouch! And as we know now…so not true. 

I couldn’t help but have a sense of pride as the Tuskegee crew was able to prove each of the men opposed to them wrong. At the same time they made friends with the bomber pilots that they were told to protect and proved to all the other white men in the army that they could handle being fighter pilots better than anyone else could. 

My only complaint? A tad long…a little over two hours is a little over my attention span ;) But if you can handle sitting a little longer than I can, Red Tails is a thumbs up movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment